Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. – The No. 3 Molloy women's soccer team and the No. 2 Mercy Mavericks played to a 1-1 draw, with the Lions advancing 3-1 in penalty kicks in the NCAA East Regional Semifinal Sunday afternoon at Mercy Field. The maroon and white moved to 15-4-3 on the season.
How it Happened
- Mercy took a 1-0 advantage in the eighth minute on a goal from Natalia Elizarraras.
- After the Mavericks goal, junior Dana Poetzsch had a shot denied in the 14th minute and rang a shot off the post in the 31st minute.
- The maroon and white outshot the home team 7-4 in the first stanza.
- In the 47th minute, junior Lauren Marinello caused a turnover in the box and scored to even the score, 1-1.
- Junior Jackie Carty made three straight saves to keep the match tied in the 40th, 52nd, and 53rd minutes.
- The match was knotted, 1-1, after 90 minutes of play.
- Molloy outshot Mercy, 5-2, in the first extra session.
- Carty made one stop in the second overtime, and the contest remained tied.
- In penalty kicks, Poetzsch and Mercy's Claudia McKail scored in the first round.
- After both teams missed in the second round, sophomores Lexi Verni and Sabrina Bell scored, and the next two Mavericks missed to secure the match for the Lions.
- Marinello tallied her fourth goal of the season.
- Carty made seven saves and two in penalty kicks.
- Molloy has outscored opponents 7-2 in eight rounds of penalties this season.
- Poetzsch and Verni tallied five shots each.
- The maroon and white will travel to play top-seeded St. Rose in the NCAA East Regional Final Friday, December 6.
Provided by the Molloy Sports Information Department.