Bridgeport, Conn. - The fourth-seeded Molly women's soccer team and the top-seeded University of Bridgeport played to a 2-2 draw in the East Coast Conference semifinals before the Lions advanced on penalty kicks, 4-1, at Knights Field earlier this evening. Molloy improved to 13-4-2 on the campaign and will face off against No. 3 New York Tech on Sunday (Nov. 17) to decide the ECC Championship.
How it Happened
- Junior Dana Poetzsch picked up a loose ball in the box and scored to give the Lions the 1-0 advantage in the 12th minute.
- Junior Jackie Carty made six saves in the first half to keep the maroon and white in front after 45 minutes of play.
- Molloy doubled its lead in the 48th minute after freshman Eleni Sofroniou headed in a corner kick from sophomore Sabrina Bell.
- The Purple Knights would come within one, 2-1, in the 52nd minute on a goal from Andrea Basilicato before Roose Ariyo knotted the contest in the 78th minute, forcing overtime.
- Sophomore Lexi Verni and senior Angela Careddu created opportunities for the maroon and white in the extra periods but were unable to find the back of the net.
- After 110 minutes, the contest remained tied. Needing to determine an advancing team, the teams went to penalty kicks.
- Poetzsch and graduate student Daria Castrogivanni converted their penalty kicks while Carty stopped both attempts by the Purple Knights.
- Verni added another successful penalty kick while Bridgeport found the back of the net to set the score at 3-1.
- Junior Jessica Mauro sealed the game after finding the back of the net in the fourth round of penalty kicks.
- Poetzsch tallied her 22nd goal and 49th point of 2019 in the effort, topping the ECC.
- Sofroniou's goal was the first of her collegiate career while Bell added her fourth assist of the campaign.
- Carty ended the contest with nine saves.
Molloy will travel to third-seeded New York Tech on Sunday (Nov. 17) in the ECC Final.
Provided by the Molloy Sports Information Department.